JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
University Student Assistant: Resident Assistant (Fall 2022 - Spring 2023)
Job no: 495475
Work type: University Student Assistant
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Categories: Student Employment
The Resident Assistant (RA) is a vital student member of the Office of Housing Operations and Residence Life staff. The Office of Housing Operations and Residence Life is committed to a comprehensive residence hall program — one that blends the curricular with the academic to create a total educational environment in which all residents are assisted in achieving their unique potential. RAs are essential in creating this environment. The quality of their efforts has a significant, direct bearing upon the quality of life experienced by all members of the university community. The RA serves as a liaison between the Office of Housing Operations and Residence Life and the residents. Under the supervision of the Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) and Assistant Residence Life Coordinator (ARLC), the RA will fulfill the general requirements and responsibilities in this job description.
- Meet and become acquainted with each resident and their academic needs.
- Help to create and maintain an atmosphere conducive to studying within the residential facilities.
- Offer students the opportunity to learn how to manage time, maintain good study habits, and take tests efficiently.
- Provide opportunities for involvement in floor/hall programming.
- Initiate, plan, and organize educational programs that respond to the needs and interests of all residents.
Student Conduct: Student Conduct
RAs are responsible for responding to student behavior so that an atmosphere conducive to study is maintained and the physical facilities are protected for student use in the future. RAs are responsible for maintaining consistent policies throughout the residential facilities.
The RA should:
- Strive to develop a sense of community among residents on the floor/area.
- Encourage self-discipline, self-government, and a respect for individual rights among residents.
- Complete Incident reports in a timely manner
On-call rotation (weekdays 4:30 pm – 8:00 am; weekends)
- Minimum of 2.50 college GPA or higher required
- Must have completed at least 24 semester credit hours at time of employment
- Enrolled as a JSU student taking at least three (12) hours per fall and spring semester
- Applicant must submit email addresses/names of two references (past employer, faculty, and/or staff member).
- Applicants must attach under “Transcript” an unofficial copy of their student transcript or class registration as evidence of student enrollment and GPA.
Notice Regarding International Students:
- Passport from their respective country.
- F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Exchange Student Visa.
- U.S. Customs Form I-94.
- Official photo identification.
- Official Social Security Card imprinted with “Valid for Work Only” or similar statement.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction