JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Assistant Professor, Social Work
Job no: 495680
Work type: Faculty 9-Month
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Jacksonville State University
Assistant Professor, Social Work
Founded in 1883, Jacksonville State University is a learning-centered university in Jacksonville, AL., whose mission is to provide distinctive educational, cultural and social experiences for a diverse student population.
Located in the Appalachian foothills of northeast Alabama, midway between Birmingham and Atlanta, JSU is home to more than 9,000 students representing 44 countries. As a learning-centered university, it strives to challenge students academically in a responsive environment, meeting their educational, career and personal goals. As an academic institution, it seeks to produce broadly educated graduates prepared for global engagement. As a public, comprehensive university, it promotes excellence in scholarly and service activities consistent with its academic and professional strengths.
JSU, referred to as “the friendliest campus in the South,” offers 95 academic programs and concentrations, among undergraduate, graduate and certificate offerings, including more than 40 online programs
The Department of Social Work invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor. The position includes teaching in the undergraduate and graduate social work programs and requires teaching competency-based education as guided by the educational policy and accreditation standards provided by the Council on Social Work Education. Courses are offered through various delivery formats including face-to-face, hybrid/blended, and 100% on-line. While teaching will be the successful candidate’s primary responsibility, mentoring, service, and scholarship within the discipline are also required. This tenure-track position entails approximately 9 months of full-time service beginning August 2023.
Requested Start Date:
Normal Work Schedule:
Varies depending on department need and class schedule
The Assistant Professor in the Social Work Program, provides educational services to traditional and non-traditional students during the day or evening, possibly weekends; teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in Social Work along with research and other scholarly work, as well as service; will be required to teach courses within their concentration area on campus, off-campus, online courses, and possible videoconferencing depending on program need or location.
- Responsible for teaching graduate and undergraduate level courses in Social Work along with doctoral level research and advanced data analysis.
- Responsible for curriculum and program development, advisement, professional development activities, and grant writing within the Social Work area.
- Develops and implements a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the university, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assesses student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as advisor and mentor for students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participates in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Communicates continually to students (either in writing or verbally) in regard to instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recoding students’ attendance and keeps attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participates in and works with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods, and curriculum.
- Exhibits a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom or instructional environment is healthful and safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Agrees to participate in extra-curricular activities as requested by the head of the department or Dean of the school.
- Participates and belongs to educational/professional associations (within concentration) and participates in their activities.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities as stated by institutional and departmental policy and by administration.
- Serves on departmental and university committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the department head.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Doctorate in Social Work or Social Welfare, typically a Ph.D. or DSW
- MSW from a CSWE accredited program and 2-5 years of post-master’s social work practice experience
- Licensed in social work
- Experience in higher education teaching or scholarship
- Proficiency in research methods and/or theories related to social work practice
- Experience with social justice and social advocacy methods
- Experience with all teaching methods, traditional, hybrid, and online
- Knowledge and understanding of social work accreditation
- Experience and success in collaborative work environments
- Cover Letter
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ act, the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction