JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Athletic Academic Advisor
Job no: 496102
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Requested Start Date:
January 3, 2023
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday, some evenings and weekends required
The Athletic Academic Advisor is responsible for academic counseling and advising as related to the NCAA continuing eligibility, and in support of the student athlete’s academic progress toward intellectual development and subsequent graduation. This Advisor serves approximately 150 student athletes in assigned sports. Contact with student-athletes may be on an individual or group basis, or may be made by correspondence. Work will be evaluated for compliance with University, NCAA and conference policies, for adherence to auditing standards, and demonstration of academic success by student-athletes.
Employment in this position is contingent upon compliance with the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and Conference affiliation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advises student-athletes on academic matters including course selection, general requirements, continuation requirements, and academic regulations.
- Coordinates eligibility of student-athletes with the Registrar; works with offices of student financial services and admissions.
- Maintains academic records of student-athletes; assists in certifying eligibility and monitors continuation status of student-athletes; determines necessity of summer school attendance for continuation.
- Works with coaches and student-athlete support services to identify any tutoring needs.
- Facilitates and oversees study sessions for student-athletes. Provides guidance, monitors class attendance, and troubleshoots problem areas.
- Monitors the level of individual and group academic performance.
- Informs and counsels students on courses that should be taken and the sequence of those courses in order to ensure athletic eligibility and effective use of their time and resources.
- Maintains detailed files or documentation on each student assisted in order to ensure consistency and clarity in conversations with students.
- Reviews and interprets NCAA rules and regulations in areas including but not limited to recruitment, academic standing, eligibility and financial aid. Submits certification of athletic eligibility for student-athletes to the OVC and NCAA.
- Participates in professional development activities and represents the University at relevant conferences.
- Attends athletic practices and contests.
- Exhibits a commitment to high athletic standards for student-athletes and a willingness to comply with institutional, conference and NCAA policies.
- Submits nominations for student-athlete awards.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three (3) years’ experience as an educator, counselor, or a higher education student affairs professional
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript (official required upon hire)
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction