JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
University Student Assistant - The Chanticleer Section Editors (Spring 2024)
Job no: 496388
Work type: University Student Assistant
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Categories: Student Employment
Communication (The Chanticleer)
$8.25 per hour
Varies depending on class schedule
The University Student Assistant/Chanticleer section editors help the editor-in-chief plan, manage, and supervise the coverage and publication of The Chanticleer, JSU’s student-run news organization, across all its platforms, which may include the web, social media, print and other forms of media. The section editors work with the editor-in-chief to ensure The Chanticleer provides timely, editorially independent coverage of events and issues that are important to JSU students and the broader university community.
The students in these three positions are assigned to manage coverage of general news, feature stories and sports under the supervision of the editor-in-chief and with the assistance and advice of the director of student media, with whom the editorial staff must work closely on all matters relating to content and publication. Editors must be or become familiar with the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics and use the code as a guide for The Chanticleer’s news-gathering and publication.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Attend newsworthy events, investigate newsworthy issues and write stories, shoot photos, and/or produce video or audio programs as needed for publication.
- Organize assignments for their sections and help supervise and edit the work of media workshop students and volunteer staff members.
- Help recruit volunteer staff members as writers, photographers, editors, etc.
- Participate in regular staff meetings to plan The Chanticleer’s coverage and publication.
- Help arrange and participate in training for editors, writers, photographers. and others involved in coverage and publication.
- Meet regularly with the editor in chief and director of student media to discuss The Chanticleer’s coverage and publication.
- Represent The Chanticleer at public events and professional meetings on campus and off campus.
- Meet regularly with university administrators and student, faculty and community groups to discuss current events and to assess the effectiveness of The Chanticleer’s coverage.
- Monitor digital media analytics to gauge The Chanticleer’s effectiveness in reaching its audience.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a JSU student taking at least three (3) hours per fall or
- spring semester.
- If not a first-time student, applicant must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Selected applicants must provide evidence of student enrollment and GPA (unofficial transcript or printout of enrollment/GPA from MyJSU.
- A major in communication with a concentration in digital journalism.
- Successful completion of COM 315 with a "C" or higher grade.
- Prior experience as a member of The Chanticleer as a volunteer or in a media workshop course.
Notice Regarding International Students:
- All International Students must receive clearance for employment from the International House and Programs.
- Due to Visa requirements international students must be enrolled as a full-time JSU student and possess each of the following:
- Passport from their respective country.
- F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Exchange Student Visa.
- U.S. Customs Form I-94.
- Official photo identification.
- Official Social Security Card imprinted with “Valid for Work Only” or similar statement
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act http://clerycenter.org/summary-jeanne-clery act , the Jacksonville State University’s Police provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: www.jsu.edu/police/docs/AnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction