JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Financial Aid Counselor
Job no: 496574
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Office of Financial Aid
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday, some evenings and weekends may be required for special events
Anticipated Start Date:
October 2, 2023
The Financial Aid Counselor provides quality customer service to prospective, and continuing students regarding financial aid eligibility, analyze federal financial aid applications to determine a student's financial need, prepare and award financial aid packages, and perform all duties related to the financial aid process. Counselors must interact in a professional manner with students and parents in challenging situations to help them resolve financial issues relating to financial aid eligibility and monetary awards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsels and educates students, parents, and others about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, indebtedness, money and management and financial planning.
- Utilizes and updates database and processes applications for financial aid received from students.
- Collects and/or analyzes financial data on students to determine aid eligibility and make awards within federal, donor and/or institutional guidelines.
- Evaluates unusual/mitigating circumstance documentation or information provided by the student; exercises judgment by making adjustment or revisions to costs, contribution, or dependency status as exceptions to the prescribed process.
- Assists in the preparation of and presents information regarding federal financial aid, scholarships, employment and grants for various campus groups, high school students and parents at meetings, group discussions, workshops and recruitment sessions.
- Analyzes various system generated reports such as grades and enrollment status or award status to verify continued compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines.
- Notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation.
- Assists with other financial aid activities such as outreach, reporting and monitoring.
- Speaks to student groups on and off campus with respect to financial aid applications and processes.
- Answers questions, inquiries or requests from students, parents, or guardians in person or in writing regarding financial aid programs and eligibility.
- Provides assistance to visitors and general public whether by phone or in person.
- Completes other duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- One year full-time experience in financial aid, student counseling or other directly related experience which includes extensive student contact
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts (official required upon hire)
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://www.clerycenter.org/the-clery-act the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction