JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Job no: 496592
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Normal Work Schedule:
Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., some evening and weekends required
Anticipated Start Date:
November 1, 2023
As part of a strategic initiative to provide NACADA, NCDA and NACE-aligned services to students and alumni, the Career Advisor serves on the centralized advising team to coordinate and support student learning for college to career development. The Career Advisor collaborates with academic advisors to offer integrated service to students and alumni. The employee serving in this role offers career counseling, job search assistance, resume writing, cover letter writing, interviewing skills, identifying job leads, internet and social media use for networking and job searches. The Career Advisor implements a variety of career events designed to support student and employer interactions, including workshops, networking, fairs, and expos. The career advisor manages the recruitment of students and employers for events and creates a communication plan, coordinates event day logistics, and ensures assessment is carried out pre-, during, and post-event. The Career Advisor will develop a network and build partnerships with local, regional, and national employers to identify potential internship and job opportunities for students and alumni. The Career Advisor is responsible for communication in the college(s) primarily served and for effective communication among the career and advisement team. The Career Advisor is expected to maintain a robust calendar with all activities documented in Navigate or other technology as required. The Career Advisor assists in the collection of accreditation and program-review data as appropriate and related to career activities of students and alumni. This position works within a collaborative College Advisement Team that includes academic and career advising, as well as retention technology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the coordination of career support programs for assigned college(s) including but not limited to, student meetings, seminars, workshops, employer panels, and career fairs. These programs will be designed to directly assist students and alumni in the exploration and development of their future career plans.
- Builds partnerships with public and private K-12 schools, employers/chambers of commerce/community colleges through on-site visits, on-campus interviews, career fairs, employment postings and resume referrals.
- Develops institutional support for career development and experiential learning for students, assists with career-related data collection for accreditation.
- Develops institutional support for career advisement and experiential learning for students; assists with career-related data collection for accreditation.
- Collaborates with the administration, faculty, and staff of assigned college(s) to coordinate annual career preparation programming to support practicum, internship, apprenticeship, full-time, and post-graduation opportunities for students and alumni.
- Coordinates efforts with faculty and other service providers to integrate career services into the broader educational mission.
- Utilize electronic record software (e.g., Navigate) to document office visits and other information associated with student contacts.
- Teaches STU 101 as requested and other Career Development/Preparation courses as assigned.
- Collaborates with the Director of Alumni Relations to serve university alumni in career support and programming needs.
- Presents on standard career development topics and career development opportunities at assigned events, including networking, workshops and orientations.
- Provides input to College Advisement Team regarding college to career development
- Participates in training and collaborates with College Advisement Team to advance academic and career development for all students.
- Ensures full adoption of JSU Navigate, Degree Works, and other student success technology and increases use of JSU Navigate and Degree Works by faculty in the college citing its benefits for retention.
- Participates in NACADA, including advising community involvement and on campus professional development opportunities. Engages in NCDA and NACE, pursues NCDA credentialing.
- Serves on SSC and university committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Master's degree with experience in one of the following: social work, counseling, career development, human resources or public relations
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts (official required upon hire)
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://www.clerycenter.org/the-clery-act the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction