JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Assistant Director, Student Accounts
Job no: 496802
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Office of Student Accounts
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday
Anticipated Start Date:
April 1, 2024
$55,000.00 - $60,000.00
Under general direction of the Assistant Controller, the Assistant Director in the Office of Student Accounts functions in the role of the Bursar and is responsible for confidential fiduciary, supervisory, and analytical tasks. The Assistant Director is accountable for the day-to-day operations of the cash handling responsibilities and refund processing, and functions of the Office to include student advisement relating to billing policies, payment options, and any other general concerns a student may have with their financial account. The Assistant Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Office of Student Accounts in the absence of the Assistant Controller of Student Accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes responsibility of the Office of Student Accounts in the absence of the Assistant Controller.
- Establishes and maintains a customer-service driven environment.
- Supervises staff within the Office of Student Accounts and develops, implements, and monitors ongoing staff development opportunities to achieve excellence in customer service.
- Responsible for evaluating and providing work direction to assigned staff members, including student workers.
- Provides fiscal responsibility for the accounts receivables of the University and serves as the Accounts Receivables Banner Administrator.
- Gathers information, runs queries, and prepares accurate reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual) and summaries, for departmental and/or internal/external audit use as needed.
- Maintains communicate with students, parents, and vendors concerning student receivables.
- Serves as the TouchNet Manager for student applications, maintains the electronic bill payment suite to include payment gateway, Marketplace, cashiering.
- Serves as the contact person for all 1098-T tax form inquiries.
- Assists with established student registration cancellation processes.
- Participates in student orientations and workshops, and responds to inquiries and disseminates information about the services offered by the Office of Student Accounts.
- Manages all credit transactions ensuring all appropriate supporting documentation for each transaction is accounted for.
- Monitors and reconciles the Office of Student Account records for General Ledger liability accounts and for third party billing.
- Verifies funding for meal vouchers and updates students’ accounts accordingly.
- In collaboration with Academic Affairs, reviews, analyzes, and makes recommendations for approval/denial of student requests for academic, medical, or compassionate withdrawal.
- Ensures adjustments to student accounts are posted as assigned by the Assistant Controller.
- Provides administrative oversight of the cashier’s operations, and the book charge balancing and payment, loan payment, and refund processes.
- Investigates, resolves, and responses to inquiries and issues related student billing concerns in a prompt and professional manner.
- Remains current on institutional and federal policies, procedures, and/or regulations related to student loan eligibility.
- Works collaboratively with the Financial Aid Office to execute approved loans to students as prescribed.
- Serves as the Marketplace Administrator.
- Provides financial counseling for parents and students regarding payment options and payment plans and collaborates with Assistant Controller to negotiate special arrangements if warranted.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant policies, procedures, regulations, and laws, and maintains accurate documentation.
- Monitors monthly account receivables from non-current accounts.
- Works collaboratively with other University Departments/Offices on coordination of data files and process flow to enhance and implement process to aid in streamlining processes that impact services offered to JSU students.
- Maintains Banner Accounts Receivable Detail Codes and Banner Account Receivables tables, running Banner Account Receivable processes, and validating output of Banner processes.
- Prepares and maintains all tuition and fee invoicing code tables and assessment rules in Banner.
- Assists with troubleshooting system-related issues and technical problems encountered in the Office of Student Accounts, and collaborates with Technology and Information to resolve issues.
- Researches and develops process improvement and procedures that will contribute to the efficient processing for all student refunds in compliance with the Department of Education regulations and to the success of the Office.
- Assists with maintaining (updates and edits) the content on the Office of Student Accounts Website.
- Assists as needed with the oversight of collections and receivables to include, but not be limited to, Third Party Processing, Student Account billing and collections and University Loan billing and collections for the Office of Student Accounts.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in management or accounting field,
- four (4) years’ related work experience, and
- minimum four (4) years supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in management or accounting field,
- two (2) years’ related work experience in university or college setting, and
- minimum four (4) years supervisory experience in finance or accounting related field
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts (official required upon hire)
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package.
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://www.clerycenter.org/the-clery-act the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction