JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Assistant Director, Military and Post-Traditional Student Services
Job no: 496819
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Military & Post Traditional Student Services
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, Some evenings and weekends required
Anticipated Start Date:
April 1, 2024
The Assistant Director, Military & Post-Traditional Student Services is responsible for managing the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Enrollment Certification process, all financial accountability functions related to Veteran or Military Educational Benefits, and the VA Work Study program. This position will ensure that the university is in compliance with the rules and regulations imposed by the VA and the State of Alabama. This position will also be responsible for coordinating advising and orientation opportunities for military-connected students on campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the overall coordination of VA and Military Education Benefits for active service members, veterans, and dependents to include assistance in applying for applicable benefits.
- Oversees the daily entry of Enrollment Certifications into the VA’s Enrollment Manager system and application of third party funding within the University’s Banner system for all GI Bill beneficiaries.
- Manages all financial accountability functions related to GI Bill, Federal Tuition Assistance, State GI Dependent Scholarship, and Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP) funds to include Transaction Lists, Refund Requests, Over-payments and Under-payments from the VA, and Third Party Contract maintenance. This function will be coordinated with the Office of Student Accounts.
- Submits yearly institutional updates to the VA, Department of Defense (DoD), and State of Alabama as well as any requests for information or data.
- Coordinates daily coverage of front desk, email, and voicemail responses.
- Manages VA Work Study program to include onboarding, training, and submission of timesheets.
- Maintains confidential records in accordance with all the requirements of the data privacy laws and written policy for the VA and JSU.
- Maintains professional relationships with Federal, State, and County VA and Military officials to stay current on policy and procedure updates.
- Performs general advising for military-connected students; advises students on the financial impact of adding, dropping, or changing classes during the semester and what resources are available to ensure their academic, personal, and professional success.
- Coordinates office participation in and support of all Freshman and Transfer Orientations.
- Promotes educational opportunities in the community and increases public awareness of educational benefits and programs at the university.
- Serves as point of contact for JSU administration during the absence of the Director
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Experience working with Veteran populations and interpreting federal regulations
- Familiarity with veterans’ concerns and experiences
- Military experience
- Master’s degree
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package.
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://www.clerycenter.org/the-clery-act the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction