JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers. Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
University Student Assistant - Police Communications Officer (Fall 2021 - Summer 2021)
Job no: 495103
Work type: University Student Assistant
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Categories: Student Employment
The duties of the University Student Assistant is to obtain work experience on campus in offices, labs, gym, the library, and other areas. Duties may include assisting staff and faculty with preparation for research, classroom instruction, departmental operational needs, or performing administrative and other support duties as required. Positions may be filled based on individual applicants’ skills, qualification and departmental needs.
- Operates assigned radio frequencies, receiving from and transmitting to authorized units.
- Performs 9-1-1 duties: answers telephones, transfers callers to appropriate locations, enters data into the 9-1-1 computer system, and monitors incoming calls.
- Performs Alabama Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (A.L.E.T.S) system duties: Receive, process, and send teletypes. Enter data into the Alabama Crime Information Center (ACIC-NCIC).
- Operates Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD).
- Maintains appropriate records and files pertaining to Emergency Dispatch Center Operations.
- Complies with all Departmental and University rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures.
- Performs other assignments and duties as required and/or necessary.
- Has frequent access to confidential information and a confidentiality agreement must be signed at time of beginning employment.
- May be assigned to assist in administrative and accreditation functions as needed.
- Visual acuity to work with details, computer terminals, extensive reading and prepares and analyzes data.
- Physical activities include, but are not limited to; standing, walking, finger dexterity, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive movements.
- Able to operate various communications equipment. Able to comprehend verbal, written and electronic communications.
- Able to articulate verbal, written and electronic communications where others can comprehend.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a JSU student taking at least three (3) hours per fall or spring semester. (Requirements for international students below.*)
- If not a first time student, applicant must have a GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- Selected applicants must provide evidence of student enrollment and GPA (unofficial transcript or printout of enrollment/GPA from MyJSU.
Notice Regarding International Students:
- Passport from their respective country.
- F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Exchange Student Visa.
- U.S. Customs Form I-94.
- Official photo identification.
- Official Social Security Card imprinted with “Valid for Work Only” or similar statement.
Department Specific Requirements:
- UPD is a 24 hour a day staffed department. Applicants may be required to work 1st shift (06:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) 2nd shift (2:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.) or 3rd shift (10:00 p.m. – 06:00 a.m.)
- Student Dispatchers may also work holidays and weekends.
- Applicants cannot have any felony convictions, convictions involving moral turpitude, and must pass a background check with fingerprints being taken.
- Entry level position filled in compliance with departmental rules and regulations concerning employment of communications officers.
- Meets all standards for licensing as a tele-communicator according to Alabama Criminal Justice Center.
- Complies with Alabama Criminal Justice Center on Officer Standards, Education and Departmental rules and regulations for continuing certification.
- Passes all required entry level testing, and exhibits no indication of current substance abuse.
- Successfully completes all required training.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Certification to operate the NCIC terminal must be completed within six months of hire date. Student must be at least 19 years of age when they achieve NCIC Certification.
- Provide three personal references and agree to a thorough criminal background check.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Do you have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher?
Will you attach a copy of your unofficial JSU transcript under the link named "Unofficial Transcript" as evidence of student enrollment and GPA?
Are you 18 years of age or older?
Are you a dual-enrollment student?
- Are you enrolled as a JSU student?
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction