JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
Job no: 495865
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Categories: Custodial / Grounds / Maintenance, Staff
Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance
Requested Start Date:
August 15, 2022
Normal Work Schedule:
7:30am-4:30 Monday-Friday, Call maybe required
$9.09 per hour
The Groundskeeper Laborer performs lawn and grounds work of an unskilled nature that will vary with the season. Responsibilities involve physical labor that is conducted mostly out of doors in all weather conditions. Tasks may occasionally include those on a semi-skilled level. Duties will be assigned in detail by an immediate supervisor and are subject to frequent inspection.
- Cuts grass using push mower. Cuts or removes weeds and grass from sidewalks and edges of buildings using weed eater.
- Poisons grass and weeds using backpack sprayer.
- Picks up trash and debris on campus grounds, removes trash, leaves and debris from curbs, gutters and drains using rakes, shovel, and leaf blower.
- Plants grass cleans out flower beds, and spreads fertilizer. Spreads dirt/soil to fill flower beds or uneven areas on grounds.
- Drives university vehicle on and off-campus to transport tools, equipment and supplies from one location to another, or to dispose of trash/leaves
- Cleans rooms or areas where tools and equipment are stored.
- Operates chain saw, mowers, hedge trimmers, weed eaters, sprayers, and related tools in grounds care tasks.
- Rods out sewer lines to unstop blockage.
- Loads and unloads heavy machinery, equipment and supplies; moves, assembles, and disassembles scaffolding.
- Stands, walks, stoops, kneels, squats and bends for extended periods of time and on different terrains.
- Lifts, moves, and transports mowers (approximate weight - 125 lbs.) to campus locations.
- Carries leaf blowers, weed eaters, and backpack weed sprayers (approximate weight - 25 lbs.) in transport and uses for extended periods of time.
- Climbs extension ladders to clean roofs and drains.
- Cleans blades of mowers, leaf blowers and other equipment used.
- Observes/inspects grounds to determine need for mowing/trimming.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High school graduation or equivalent required.
- Experience in the operation of tractors and mowing equipment required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Cover Letter
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction