JSU has created innovative policies and programs that give our employees the freedom to focus on their families while advancing their careers.
Our policies also recognize the changing definitions of family - from blended families, adopted families, and same-sex domestic partnerships, to the demands of caring for aging parents.
HVAC - Lead Technician
Job no: 496821
Work type: Full Time
Location: Jacksonville (Main Campus)
Requested Start Date:
February 26, 2024
$26.44 per hour
Normal Work Schedule:
7:30am-4:30 Monday-Friday, Call maybe required
The HVAC Technician Lead performs master level work in the maintenance and repair of refrigeration, heating, and allied equipment. The HVAC Lead Technician services and maintains various refrigeration and air conditioning installations and equipment according to established trade practices. This position serves as the Lead Technician and is responsible for evaluating the skill set and providing hands on instruction to other HVAC technicians ensuring proper techniques and procedures.
The HVAC Mechanic III works rotating shifts; special situations or emergencies may necessitate reporting on a scheduled off-day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs and maintains air conditioning units and adjusts temperature controls in window units, reciprocating units, centrifugal units, ice machines, freezers, and refrigerators.
- Maintains and repairs heating units such as heat pumps, gas furnaces, steam converters, gas boilers, and gas water heaters.
- Lubricates fan compressor motors; adjusts automatic valves and controls, condenser and evaporator; replaces belts, pulleys, fly wheels and fuses; checks for refrigerant leaks and replaces refrigerant as needed.
- Installs and maintains pumps used to transfer fluid to heating or cooling such as water or Freon.
- Removes, disassembles, repairs, rebuilds, and installs motors or pumps used in heating or cooling units.
- Performs basic and general maintenance and repair such as pipefitting, welding, and electrical restoration.
- Drives university trucks and vans.
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Supervises subordinates. Makes work assignments, ensures that employees have proper tools and equipment, and verifies work completion.
- Leads lower level HVAC technicians in troubleshooting, diagnosis, and repair of commercial air conditioning and multi-zone heating and cooling systems that incorporate pneumatic, digital, and central energy management system controls.
- Leads HVAC Technicians in the performance and completion of HVAC mechanical and electrical systems work.
- Ensures proper and adequate installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair, of HVAC related systems including steam boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems, pumps, air compressors, generators, blowers, fans, variable frequency drives, computerized maintenance control systems, and all other associated mechanical and electrical systems.
- Leads, directs, participates in, and provides insight into the maintenance and improvements of HVAC and related system operations and computerized maintenance management systems that support work order management and preventative, corrective, and predictive maintenance programs associated with HVAC mechanical and electrical systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Programs controls and monitors all boilers, chillers, heat recovery, and multi-zone units, pumps, fans, refrigeration systems, and performs chemical testing on heating water in boilers/heat exchangers and water in cooling towers, chillers, and other plant systems. Programs and monitors occupied and unoccupied energy efficiency scheduling with HVAC, lighting, and other systems to optimize performance and savings.
- Evaluates and identifies the knowledge and skill deficient in other technicians and provides appropriate training.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to: Graduation from high school or completion of the GED and completion of a vocational school program in refrigeration, and extensive experience in refrigeration and heating maintenance and repair.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Possession, at the time of hire, of a universal refrigerant transition and recovery certification issued by EPA.
- experience and ability to provide hands on instruction to other HVAC technicians
- Associates degree in HVAC Technology or related field or equivalent HVAC related trade Journeyman program
- five years of experience at a journey person HVAC level
- at least two years of this experience involving a leadership role in an HVAC trade related work team
- Cover Letter
JSU strives to provide great quality of life to our employees through an attractive, competitive benefits package for our full-time faculty and staff. These benefits enhance your salary as a JSU employee and are part of your total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Retirement Plans
- Alabama Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS)
- RSA-1 Deferred Compensation
- 403-B Retirement Annuity (TIAA)
- Health Insurance
- Medical (PEEHIP)
- Optional plans: vision, dental, flexible spending plan, dependent care, cancer and hospital indemnity
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Tuition assistance
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Prescription assistance
For additional information regarding benefits, please visit our website.
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
If you wish to complete your submission, view your offer online and/or complete your online induction